Overview of Turnitin:
Turnitin is an originality checking and plagiarism prevention service that checks your writing for citation mistakes or inappropriate copying. When you submit your paper, Turnitin compares it to text in its massive database of student work, websites, books, articles, etc. Submitted papers receive a Similarity Report which scores how much of the paper matches previously-submitted works. Your grader will review your paper for proper citations for quoted sections. Your instructor may have set the Turnitin assignment to not check quoted material and bibliography sections.
Submitting Turnitin Assignments:
Note: Turnitin assignments have this logo in front of the assignment name in your course on CampusNet's My Courses section:
2. You will see your My Submissions page showing the Start Date (for uploading), Due Date and grade Post Date for the assignment. When you are ready to upload your paper to Turnitin, click the Submit Paper link.
3. On the Submit Paper screen, type in a Submission Title for your paper.
4. The Submission Type control is normally left in File Upload. (There is also a Text Submission alternative for pasting in text to submit).
5. If your are ready to submit your file, either drag it into the File to Submit section or click the Add button and select your file.
6. Click the checkbox for "By checking this box, I confirm that this submission is my own work" and click the Add Submission button.
7. You should see a Digital Receipt window which is a confirmation that Turnitin has uploaded your file. Click Done to return to your My Submissions page.
8. You will now see the details for your submission, including a link to the Digital Receipt, its Paper ID, and the date and time of your submission. The Grade will appear once your grader has posted it and the Post Date has arrived.
9. The Similarity indicator will appear when Turnitin has analyzed your paper (usually within seconds or a few minutes). This shows the percentage of your paper that matches other papers in the Turnitin database.
10. To view the Similarity Overview and details, click the Submission Title for your paper. You will view the Originality Report in Turnitin. Click the Match Overview control in the right margin to view your submission and see any matches that Turnitin has found in other work. After the Post Date, you will also see your instructor's feedback.
11. If you decide to make changes to your paper prior to the submission deadline, click your paper's name from your course's home page or Turnitin Assignments and in the My Submission page, click the Submit Paper link and upload your revised paper. Click the Resubmit button to replace your prior submission.
You will see the following note at the top of the Submit Paper screen for more information regarding resubmissions:
You have already submitted a paper to this assignment and a Similarity Report was generated for your submission. If you choose to resubmit your paper, your earlier submission will be replaced and a new report will be generated. After 3 resubmissions, you will need to wait 24 hours after a resubmission to see a new Similarity Report.
Here's a video discussing how to do proper citation and avoid plagiarism: